• You cannot reply to this topic

B727-200 National Airlines "I'm Helen. Fly Me."

#1 User is offline   Warm Nuts 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • System:1.5Ghz PowerBook, 2 Gb ram, 64 Mb vram

Posted 20 April 2006 - 05:01 PM

Ready for another Jet Blast from the Past?

Back when smoking was cool and not only was it acceptable to drink and drive, it was borderline normal, a sexy girl named Helen flew the skies. During the 70's, as Wally was kickin' it on his pillow telling us Western was "the ooooonly way to fly," Helen, Jackie, Rose, and many other hottie-flight attendants on National Airlines responded by saying, "fly me."

Posted Image

Ahhhh... the "goold 'ol days," when flight attendants were still "stewardesses" and mini-skirts were standard issue... :D

Approximately one year after my Western 707 flight, at the age of seven I flew alone for the first time, from SAN to HOU, again to see my dad... I remember parting ways from my mom & grandmother in the "Old Terminal," excited to fly again... That flight was on National. :) Below is registration N4740, a.k.a. "Helen," a 727-235.

Posted Image

Click on the image to download.

The late slogan, "Take me, I'm yours," takes on a whole new meaning in the XPFW forum. :)

Here's a copy of the last route map published by National before their merge with, and into, Pan Am:

Posted Image

More route maps, including the original "Buccaneer Route," are available here.

Happy Flying... and go easy on 'ol Helen -- as you'll see, she's been around a little. :D

She's not be the cleanest bird aloft, but damn... at least she's not as dirty a bird as Cheryl... "millions of people?!?" :blink:

EDIT:Now with full lit textures...

#2 User is offline   Warm Nuts 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:31 AM

Quick note: Lit textures now added. Happy flying... :)

#3 User is offline   PEESEN 

• Insomniac
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • System:8.60 on a MacBook Pro 2.33 Core Duo 2, 2 gigs RAM, Radeon X1600 (256 megs VRAM), CH-yoke, pedals and throttle

Posted 21 April 2006 - 02:42 AM

Yes :D ! Thank you for that one... Sure daddy likes it :lol: (Nice presentation!)
Yes. It says FRANK THE TANK on the back of my shirt.

#4 User is offline   Warm Nuts 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:58 AM

Right on, P.... Glad you like it. :)

The chance to relive liveries past has me feeling rather nostaligic as of late... as this was my first experience flying alone (and at such a young age, when everything seems Bigger than real life), National left quite an impression on me and always held a special place in my heart... Until puberty and the inevitable shift in focus away from All Things Innocent, I spent quite a bit of classroom time sketching various aricraft (mind you, nothing like the works of art Rueben has posted in the "Jet Blast" forum -- think instead more along the lines of a talented 10-year old's sketch), most with a Smiling Sun on the tail... :)

BTW, FRA holds a different special place in my heart as an adult... :) While traveling (at least once a year) to and from India, from '99 through '00 I flew Sky Team (Delta from India to the US, DL/KAL back to India). Frankfurt was always such a welcome sight and sigh of relief after departing from Mumbai or Delhi. It was also the very first place my wife saw (again, in transit to the US) outside of India. Talk about a contrast! :lol:

#5 User is offline   DDeGroff 

• Addict
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Website design(Mac G5 2.1 20&quot;), Flash design(Macromedia MX04), Studio recording (Garage Band), Astronomy (Orion XT10).<br /><br />
  • System:iMac G5 2.1 mhz 20" 1 Gig Ram and eMac 1.25

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:55 AM

It's refreshing to see your presentations along with the paints... and the variety lives on.... Thank you.. ;)

Alright... I'm off to see if Cheryl and her miniskirt is part of this download....
Posted Image

Current Project: Gateway To The Rockies MAX Featuring Denver International Airport....ETA 12/25/07
Previous Project: Gateway To The Rockies (KCOS/Peterson Air Force Base Scenery)
Repaint liveries: Southwest Airlines Special Livery 10-pack ....includes California One, New Mexico One, Silver One, Noland Ryan Gold, Maryland One, California One Concept, Slam Dunk One One, Arizona One, Nevada One..... Also includes Shamu Blue and Shamu Gold (by Schan01)
B727 Retro Livery Combo: Continental Airlines Retro and United Airlines Retro.

#6 User is offline   Timber 

• Pip

Posted 27 April 2006 - 08:23 PM

These repaints of the 727 are great. I especially like this National Airlines airplane.

Is there any chance of getting the Eastern Air Lines 727 from the from the 1960's. That's the one with two blue strips on a white background. To me that will always be the colors of Eastern and is what I remember from my childhood on the east coast.

#7 User is offline   Warm Nuts 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2006 - 09:54 PM

Thx for the compliment.. :) You know, I've been hunting for some good base photos of this livery... another member (LCL) had also requested it -- it's one of 3-4 additional vintage liveries on my list... :)

#8 User is offline   Warm Nuts 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2006 - 10:08 PM

View PostDDeGroff, on Apr 25 2006, 01:55 AM, said:

Alright... I'm off to see if Cheryl and her miniskirt is part of this download....

:lol:

Check out these unis worn by the old-school PSA stewardesses... :D

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

These are the antihtesis -- in every way -- of the surly senior-grade crews manning *both* the BLR-LHR and LHR-ORD flights my wife and I were on last December...

#9 User is offline   Warm Nuts 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:15 PM

The link in the original post is now updated and current. Helen flies again.

#10 User is offline   ClipperMinotaur 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: betatester
  • Interests:Old Connies, Boeing 314 Clippers, Boeing 377 Stratocruisers, Convair B-36s, Boeing 707's, Convair 880 &amp; 990, Boeing 747. Miss the pioneers, Pan Am, TWA, Braniff, National, Eastern, Western. Collect vinyl and shellac (78s), portable Victrolas, old radios, phonos, and collect minotaurs.<br /><br /><br />&quot;Somewhere, in a parallel universe, G.W. Bush can actually articulate and say the word... nuclear.&quot;
  • System:MAC OS X 10.4.8 on a 1.8Ghz PPC G5 iMac

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:35 PM

Any chance of perhaps getting a National livery for a DC-8 62 series or a Boeing 747?
Even better the Eastern "Falcon" livery for a Constellation and also one for National and Pan American?

Thanks for "Helen". I lived my youth near MIA and always remembered National!~

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic