• View blog
  • Group: Root Admin
  • Skype Name:howdytc
  • Interests:Flying, Skiing, Singing, Playing Guitar, Computers

Mac OSX 10.8
    Mac Pro 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 8 gig RAM
    ATI 5870 2 gig VRAM

MacBook PRO 2gig RAM 256 ATI 1600
  • System:Mac OSX 10.8, Mac Pro 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8 gig RAM, ATI 5870 2 gig VRAM ------------- MacBook PRO -- 2gig RAM -- 256 ATI 1600

Posted 20 September 2008 - 04:17 PM

I am pleased to announce the releasie of an update to Winter World. WinterWorld 2.0 includes worldwide terrain winter textures, winterized global forest textures and winterized X-Plane default objects for the US and Europe (all of the buildings and objects in XP)

Here are a few screenshots of what you can expect to see.

(Click on image to get full screen view)

Posted Image
Winter terrain around EDDM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Construction around EDDM

Posted Image
Amsterdam

Posted Image
Industrial Park

Posted Image
Nelson BC

Posted Image
Mountain Trees around Nelson BC

Posted Image
Shopping Center
Posted Image

Tom Curtis Apple Valley, CA USA

Posted Image

I THINK I can...... I THINK I Can.......

#2 User is offline   Howdy 

• Insomniac
  • View blog

Mac OSX 10.8
    ATI 5870 2 gig VRAM

• System:Mac OSX 10.8, Mac Pro 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 8 gig RAM, ATI 5870 2 gig VRAM ------------- MacBook PRO -- 2gig RAM -- 256 ATI 1600

Posted 20 September 2008 - 07:02 PM

Here is a link to download Winter World 2.0. There are two versions of WinterWorld. One will only work in X-Plane 9. The other will work only in X-Plane 8.64.

[NOTE] Winter World is available free of charge. It was created by modifying copyrighted textures and files from X-Plane 8 or X-Plane 9. The original copyright holders still retain all rights to these files and your X-Plane EULA (End User License Agreement) is still in effect.

THIS VERSION IS FOR USE WITH X-PLANE 9 ONLY. IT WILL NOT WORK IN XP8

scroll down for X-Plane 8 version

If you have already downloaded Winter World, please download this updater.

Winter World 2.0 UPDATER for XP9
This will create a file titled "WinterWorld_9v200_UPDATE.zip"

INSTALLATION

Before Installing this update, make sure you place a copy of Winter World in your Custom, scenery folder. I recommend that you name it _WINTER_WORLD_9_v200.
Next, unzip the WinterWorld_9v200_UPDATE.zip file. It will create a folder titled :WinterWorld_9v200_UPDATE"

Open this folder and you will see 3 folders titled:

_Winter_Europe_9v200
_Winter_Forests_9v200
_Winter_US_9v200

Copy all 3 folders into the custom scenery folder. After you install the folders, your custom scenery folder should look like this:
Posted Image

The next time you launch X-Plane, most of the earth will be covered in snow. If you want to change back to summer textures, simply remove all 4 _Winter World folders from your custom scenery folder.

If you do not have Winter World, please download this file.

This file contains everything you will need for Winter World 2.0.

Winter World 2.0 for XP9
This will create a file titled "WinterWorld_9v200.zip"

INSTALLATION

Unzip the file titled WinterWorld_9v200.zip. It will create a folder titled :WinterWorld_8v200_UPDATE"

Open this folder and you will see these 4 folders:

_Winter_Europe_9v200
_Winter_Forests_9v200
_Winter_US_9v200
_WINTER_WORLD_9_v200

Copy all 4 folders into the custom scenery folder. After you install the folders, your custom scenery folder should look like this:
Posted Image

The next time you launch X-Plane, most of the earth will be covered in snow. If you want to change back to summer textures, simply remove all 4 _Winter World folders from your custom scenery folder.

WINTER WORLD FOR X-PLANE 8.64

THIS VERSION IS FOR USE WITH X-PLANE 8 ONLY. IT WILL NOT WORK IN XP9

If you have already downloaded Winter World, please download this updater.

Winter World 2.0 UPDATER for XP8
This will create a file titled " WinterWorld_8v200_UPDATE.zip"

INSTALLATION

Before Installing this update, make sure you place a copy of Winter World in your Custom, scenery folder. I recommend that you name it _WINTER_WORLD_8_v200.
Next, unzip the WinterWorld_8v200_UPDATE.zip file. It will create a folder titled : WinterWorld_8v200_UPDATE"

Open this folder and you will see 2 folders titled:

_Winter_Europe_8v200
_Winter_US_8v200

Copy both of these folders into the custom scenery folder. After you install the folders, your custom scenery folder should look like this:

Posted Image

If you do not have Winter World, please download this file.

This file contains everything you will need for Winter World 2.0.

Winter World 2.0 for XP8
This will create a file titled "WinterWorld_8v200.zip"

INSTALLATION

Unzip the file titled WINTER_WORLD_8_v200.zip. It will create a folder titled : WINTER_WORLD_8_v200"

Open this folder and you will see these 4 folders:

_Winter_Europe_8v200
_Winter_US_8v200
_WINTER_WORLD_8_v200

Copy all 3 folders into the custom scenery folder. After you install the folders, your custom scenery folder should look like this:
Posted Image

X-Plane 8 does not include Global Forests, but There is a third party package that adds forests for Europe and the United States. I have tested Winter World with these forests and it should be totally compatible with them. I renamed it to EU_Forests_WINTER so it would load after Winter World. If you are using the US forests, I would give it the name US_Forests_WINTER

These files are available from alpilotx.de

http://www.alpilotx.de/mambo/index.php?opt...5&Itemid=40

Tom
(Howdy)
Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Guest_Mikethebike_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:31 PM

Many thanks. Looks great!
Finally I can set winter in Switzerland too.

#4 User is offline   Maestro 

• Pip
  • Group: Members
  • System:iMac - 3,06GHz - 4GB ram

Posted 21 September 2008 - 02:51 AM

Stunning, as usual.

#5 User is offline   AlexCohrs 

• PipPip
  • Group: betatester
  • System:Mac OS X 10.5.2; Windows XP, SP2

Posted 21 September 2008 - 03:29 AM

Yep, works great!

#6 User is offline   eham010 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • System:24" imac intel core duo | OS 10.5.4 | 3.06GHz | 4 gig RAM | 1 TB HD | 512 MB GeForce 8800 GS | CH yoke, pedals

Posted 21 September 2008 - 04:54 AM

nice, I especially like the snowy roofs... and the word 'winterized' :lol:

thanks for another fine update :)

#7 User is offline   falcon71 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: XPFW Moderator
  • System:Win XP Pro SP2, AMD 64 3000+, Geforce 7800GT, 2Gb RAM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 05:43 AM

Really awesome, I like it very much!
Thank you!

I got another small idea:
Can you give the runways and taxiways a snowy look?
Like in this picture:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Adria-Airwa...onal/1023112/L/
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Howdy 

• Insomniac
  • View blog

Mac OSX 10.8
    ATI 5870 2 gig VRAM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

Great minds think alike. I REALLY WANTED to do snow covered runways (patchy snow and along the edges) but X-Plane will not allow us to modify or substitute runway textures from within a custom scenery package. It is possible to replace the master runway textures in the Resources folder with your own, but that can cause trouble down the road. Each time you run the X-Plane updater, it will try to overwrite your custom runway textures. For this and several other reasons, Ben and Austin highly discourage any mods done to the resources folder.

There is another way to modify the runway textures on an airport by airport basis and that is by using texture overlays to place snow on top of the default runway textures. I am looking into this for future projects.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Kaphias 

• Aircraft Painter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Flying, art, cars, racing, music
  • System:Windows XP SP3, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz, Seagate 150GB HD, NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB, 2GB RAM

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:16 PM

View PostHowdy, on Sep 21 2008, 07:04 PM, said:

There is another way to modify the runway textures on an airport by airport basis and that is by using texture overlays to place snow on top of the default runway textures. I am looking into this for future projects.

I personally have looked into that for my scenery projects about half a year ago... I ended up contacting the guy who made the runway textures with the big X on them and asked him if it would be possible to make snow-covered runways. We did some work on it and got a very basic texture made, but I never really got it to work properly, and dropped contact with him. If you don't know his name and want it, just PM me and I'll find it for ya.

#10 User is offline   falcon71 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: XPFW Moderator
  • System:Win XP Pro SP2, AMD 64 3000+, Geforce 7800GT, 2Gb RAM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 06:52 AM

Thank you, Howdy.
Never mind, I just pretend that they got some very good airport services.
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   Howdy 

• Insomniac
  • View blog

Mac OSX 10.8
    ATI 5870 2 gig VRAM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:13 AM

Versions of WinterWorld 2.0 for X-Plane 8 and X-Plane 9 are now available for download.

Download forum
Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   skipper 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • System:MDD Dual 1,25, Radeon 9800 Pro

Posted 22 September 2008 - 09:17 AM

Looking great! Thank you very much!!!
X-Plane 8.6, MDD Dual G4 1,25, 2 GB Ram, Radeon 9800 Pro/ 128 VRam

#13 User is offline   Julian Baquero 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Aviation, Air & Space, Industrial Design, Architecture, Moutaineering, Music, Movies, Photography.
  • System:Dell Inspirion 1505/2GHz Core2Duo/2GB RAM/ATI X1400 256MB VRAM/Win XP/X-Plane 8.6

Posted 22 September 2008 - 04:56 PM

Hi Howdy,

Amazing update of an already great add on. I would like to know if the following is possible. X-Plane does not render many of the snow caped mountains near the Equator, I suppose that it just assumes that Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador and Peru are tropical countries (this also includes Kenya and Tanzania). Here in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela, anything above 4800 meters is covered by snow. Is there a way to tell X-Plane and/or Winter world to render snow on anything above 4800 meters?

Cheers, Julian

#14 User is offline   Howdy 

• Insomniac
  • View blog

Mac OSX 10.8
    ATI 5870 2 gig VRAM

Posted 22 September 2008 - 10:53 PM

View PostJulian Baquero, on Sep 22 2008, 03:56 PM, said:

Hi Howdy,

Amazing update of an already great add on. I would like to know if the following is possible. X-Plane does not render many of the snow caped mountains near the Equator, I suppose that it just assumes that Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador and Peru are tropical countries (this also includes Kenya and Tanzania). Here in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela, anything above 4800 meters is covered by snow. Is there a way to tell X-Plane and/or Winter world to render snow on anything above 4800 meters?

Cheers, Julian

When I was flying for American Airlines, I flew into most of the major South American airports on a regular basis. While many of the airports and approaches were challenging, they were some of the most beautiful areas in the world. I sure do miss the Andes mountains.

I wish there was a way to cover the terrain above a certain elevation with snow, but to the best of my knowledge, X-Plane does not allow this. There have been "rumors" that a future edition of X-Plane will allow us to choose between winter and summer (maybe spring and fall) textures based on the date set in X-Plane, but Ben was saying they might do this with shaders rather than a second set of textures. I haven't heard that rumor discussed recently so I don't really know when (OR EVEN IF) this will occur.
Posted Image

Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Urban 

• PipPip

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:23 AM

Nice. Very nice. Worked seamlessly with my "library.txt" which lets only parts of my world has winter (but on the other hand they have it always).

#16 User is offline   safeflight 

• the heavy ones
  • PipPipPip
  • System:iMac 20`, 4GB RAM,

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:49 AM

Howdy,

Thank you very much, the right scenery addon for the coming cold weather !
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Julian Baquero 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Aviation, Air & Space, Industrial Design, Architecture, Moutaineering, Music, Movies, Photography.
  • System:Dell Inspirion 1505/2GHz Core2Duo/2GB RAM/ATI X1400 256MB VRAM/Win XP/X-Plane 8.6

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:46 AM

View PostHowdy, on Sep 22 2008, 11:53 PM, said:

When I was flying for American Airlines, I flew into most of the major South American airports on a regular basis. While many of the airports and approaches were challenging, they were some of the most beautiful areas in the world. I sure do miss the Andes mountains.

I wish there was a way to cover the terrain above a certain elevation with snow, but to the best of my knowledge, X-Plane does not allow this. There have been "rumors" that a future edition of X-Plane will allow us to choose between winter and summer (maybe spring and fall) textures based on the date set in X-Plane, but Ben was saying they might do this with shaders rather than a second set of textures. I haven't heard that rumor discussed recently so I don't really know when (OR EVEN IF) this will occur.

Thanks Howdy for the answer. Well certainly I do miss the snow mountains in the Andes, first of all because I live on top of them and because most of my XP flights are between and/or inside Andean countries. I hope Ben gives us something for X-Plane 9 and don't keep us waiting for XP11.

I also miss the water colors of the Caribbean, not that ugly dark blue form the northern seas.

Cheers, Julian

#18 User is offline   alpilotx 

• Woodman
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • System:Core2 Duo E6600, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8800GTS 320MB, SUSE Linux 10.3 64bit

Posted 28 September 2008 - 02:56 PM

Hi everybody. I was motivated by Howdys newest and greatest Winter World release to also update my forest textures. So I added a winter texture to each of my download sections. You can have snowed in trees with all of my sceneries (Europe and USA, XP8 or XP9). Have at them on my site:
www.alpilotx.de
(just go to the download section of scenery package where you need the winter texture and you will find it there!).

Installation is absolutely trivial: just overwrite the original textures in your base forest (USA or Europe) scenery folder by the new winter ones (and it also works in the other direction).

alpilotx
Andras Fabian / Alpilotx
Visit www.alpilotx.net, the home of X-Plane forests.
You can see some landscape and other photographs from me here:
http://www.flickr.co...s/weathermaker/

#19 User is offline   Howdy 

• Insomniac
  • View blog

Mac OSX 10.8
    ATI 5870 2 gig VRAM

Posted 28 September 2008 - 10:15 PM

EXCELLENT work. I had an earlier version of your winter trees but these are much nicer. Thank you so much for sharing them with all of us :)

View Postalpilotx, on Sep 28 2008, 01:56 PM, said:

Hi everybody. I was motivated by Howdys newest and greatest Winter World release to also update my forest textures. So I added a winter texture to each of my download sections. You can have snowed in trees with all of my sceneries (Europe and USA, XP8 or XP9). Have at them on my site:
www.alpilotx.de
(just go to the download section of scenery package where you need the winter texture and you will find it there!).

Installation is absolutely trivial: just overwrite the original textures in your base forest (USA or Europe) scenery folder by the new winter ones (and it also works in the other direction).

alpilotx

Posted Image

Posted Image

#20 User is offline   sladami 

• Pip
  • Group: Banned

Posted 30 September 2008 - 05:03 PM

looking forward to a "dashing through the snow..." thanx a lot men :dribble:

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic